Mission and Values
Mission Statement of the Wilmette Institute (2020)
An agency of the National Spiritual Assembly
of the Bahá’ís of the United States
The Wilmette Institute is an educational institution offering courses on Bahá’í history, texts, and the Bahá’í approach to social transformation. It serves learners of diverse backgrounds and ages, and facilitates consultation, action, and reflection leading to personal and collective transformation for the common good.
Our Guiding Principles
- Human beings are essentially noble; they are capable of building an ever-advancing civilization.
- Both science and religion are essential to investigate reality.
- Systemic problems require a holistic approach to discover lasting solutions.
- Scholarship does not begin and end with words but combines theory and praxis in study, consultation, action and reflection.
- Sustainable social change requires the development of human capacity, in order that people become the protagonists of their own material and spiritual development.
- Universal peace and justice can be realized through a planetary consciousness of the oneness of humanity and the interconnectedness of the earth and all its inhabitants.