New Courses for 2017 Announced: Eleven New Courses and Many Old Faithfuls
Dr. Robert H. Stockman, the Director of the Wilmette Institute, has announced the line-up for courses being offered in 2017. The number of courses will be at least 53 (the same as in 2016) and probably closer to 60 as additional courses are scheduled. The list includes 11 new courses (12 if you count the new one starting on December 30, 2016: Creating Unity with Friendship, Fun, Social Vitality, and Laughter). The new courses account for almost one-quarter of the total planned to date.
The new courses for 2017 include a number of ones on preparing for marriage, marriage, and maintaining marriages:
- Home of Love: Marriage, Family, and the Community (starting June 2, 2017)
- Are We Ready for Marriage (starting July 21, 2017)
- Navigating Marriage Challenges (starting September 8, 2017)
- Communicating as a Couple Before and After Marriage (starting October 27, 2017)
- Understanding Interfaith and Intercultural Couples (starting November 18, 2017)
There is also a sixth marriage course (Creating a Coherent Marriage, Family, and Community Life), but it is being offered only in Brazil and only in Portuguese. It will be the first Wilmette Institute course offered only for an audience outside the United States and only in a language other than English.
A long-awaited new course is The Bahá’í Faith and Agriculture (begins on January 15, 2017), which is being offered early in the year so that those interested in agriculture can complete the course before it is time to plant (at least in the Northern Hemisphere).
One new religion course is planned for 2017: The Book of Revelation (starts on October 1).
Two other new courses will focus on:
- The Twin Manifestations for this age (The Báb and Bahá’u’lláh: Two Lives, One Story; starts February 7, 2017)
- The Promise of World Peace, a statement by the Universal House of Justice about Bahá’í teachings that will lead to world peace (starts on December 15, 2017).
Finally, Eleven will start on November 1, 2017. The author, Paul Hanley, will lead the participants through his book about the myriad problems that will result when the Earth’s population reaches eleven billion.
In addition, several popular courses reappear in the 2017 line-up:
- Health Care and Social Action (starts on March 7, 2017).
- The Badí‘ Calendar (starts on March 10, 2017): For those still mystified by the changes in the Bahá’í calendar.
- Climate Change (starts on April 15, 2017): The course has been scheduled to coincide with Earth Day 2017 (April 22) and Interfaith Power & Light’s Faith Climate Action Week, which is usually scheduled around Earth Day.
With the 53 courses, the Wilmette Institute is expecting a bumper crop of learners for 2017. We hope you will examine the 2017 list of offerings in this issue (or on our web page) and start making plans to join one or more courses.